Academy of Art UniversitySan Francisco, CA
79 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA 94105
Founded in 1929, the Academy of Art University is a for-profit art school in San Francisco, California. It is the largest privately owned art school in the United States and offers associate's, bachelor's, and master's degrees in fine arts, design, architecture, and writing. The school has an enrollment of over 12,000 students, with campuses in San Francisco and New York City.
The Academy of Art University was founded by Richard S. Stephens, a painter and sculptor, who opened the school with the help of his wife, Clara. Stephens had a vision for the school, which he described as "a place where artists could learn not only the techniques of their craft, but also the business of art." The school began with just six students and has grown steadily since then.
The school offers a wide range of programs, including animation, architecture, fashion design, game art and design, graphic design, illustration, interior architecture and design, motion pictures and television, photography, and web design and new media. The Academy of Art University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and is a member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
The school has a strong commitment to diversity, with students from all over the world. The campus is located in the heart of San Francisco, which is a major center for the arts. The school offers a variety of scholarships and financial aid options, and the admissions process is rolling.
Type: Private for-profit, 4-year or above
Main Website: https://www.academyart.edu/
Financial Aid: https://www.academyart.edu/finances/financial-aid-office
Total Cost In-State On-Campus: $47,174
Total Cost Out-State On-Campus: $47,174
Admission RequirementsAdmission requirements for undergraduate programs at the Academy of Art University include a completed application form, a non-refundable $50 application fee, transcripts from all previous institutions attended, and a portfolio submission. For some programs, additional requirements may include an audition, interview, or both.
The portfolio submission is the most important part of the application process, as it is the primary way in which the Admissions Committee evaluates an applicant's potential as an artist. The portfolio should consist of 10-20 pieces of original artwork that showcase the applicant's skills and abilities. It is important to note that the portfolio requirements vary by program, so applicants should be sure to consult the requirements for their specific program of interest.
Once all required materials have been submitted, the Admissions Committee will review the application and make a decision. Applicants will be notified of the Committee's decision via mail. If an applicant is offered admission, they will be required to submit a non-refundable deposit in order to secure their spot in the program.
|Percentage of students receiving any financial aid||73%|
|Percentage of students receiving Federal Grants||43%|
|Percentage of students receiving state aid||12%|
|Percentage of students receiving institutional aid||49%|
|Percentage of students receiving a student loan||0%|
- Degrees Offered
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Certificates of 2 years, but less than 4 year
- Postbaccalaureate certificate
- Majors Offered
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics, and Special Effects
- Apparel and Textile Manufacture
- Apparel and Textile Marketing Management
- Apparel and Textiles, General
- Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD
- Art History, Criticism and Conservation
- Art Teacher Education
- Autobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
- CAD/CADD Drafting and/or Design Technology/Technician
- Cinematography and Film/Video Production
- Commercial and Advertising Art
- Computer Graphics
- Computer Programming, Specific Applications
- Computer Software and Media Applications, Other
- Consumer Merchandising/Retailing Management
- Digital Arts
- Drafting and Design Technology/Technician, General
- Educational/Instructional Technology
- Fashion Merchandising
- Fashion and Fabric Consultant
- Fashion/Apparel Design
- Fine Arts and Art Studies, Other
- Jewelry Arts
- Modeling, Virtual Environments and Simulation
- Music Theory and Composition
- Music, Other
- Playwriting and Screenwriting
- Recording Arts Technology/Technician
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia and Information Resources Design