Indian River State CollegeFort Pierce, FL
3209 Virginia Ave, Fort Pierce, FL 34981-5596
Indian River State College (IRSC) is a state college in Florida, United States. It is part of the Florida College System and offers two- and four-year degrees. The college has its main campus in Fort Pierce, with satellite campuses in Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach. The college is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
IRSC was founded in 1959 as Indian River Junior College. It was the first public junior college in Florida and the sixth in the United States. The college was established to provide educational opportunities for the residents of Indian River County. The college's first class graduated in 1961. In 1965, the college moved to its current main campus in Fort Pierce. In 1966, the college was renamed Indian River Community College. In 1971, the college began offering four-year degrees. In 1986, the college was renamed Indian River State College.
IRSC offers over 100 programs of study, including Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Bachelor's degrees. The college also offers certificate programs. IRSC is home to the Center for Excellence in Writing, which provides writing support for students, faculty, and staff. The college has an active Honors Program.
IRSC is a member of the Florida Consortium of Metropolitan Research Universities, which includes the state's eleven public research universities. The college is also a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges.
IRSC is committed to providing affordable, high-quality education. The college has been recognized for its value and affordability by The Princeton Review, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, and Money magazine. IRSC is one of the top producers of Associate in Arts degrees in Florida and the nation. The college is also a leader in awarding Bachelor's degrees to minority students.
IRSC is located on the Treasure Coast of Florida, midway between Orlando and Miami. The college serves the counties of Indian River, St. Lucie, and Okeechobee. IRSC is accessible from Interstate 95 and the Florida Turnpike. The college is located on a 500-acre (2.0 km2) campus in Fort Pierce, with satellite campuses in Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach.
The college has eight residence halls, which can accommodate over 1,000 students. The college also has an apartment complex for students who are married or have children.
The college's athletic teams are known as the Pioneers. IRSC offers baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, softball, tennis, and volleyball. The college is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association and the Florida College System Activities Association.
IRSC is governed by a five-member Board of Trustees, appointed by the Governor of Florida. The college is led by President Edward Eissey.
The college has an annual budget of $200 million and employs over 2,000 faculty and staff. IRSC is the largest employer in Indian River County.
IRSC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The college's nursing program is accredited by the National League for Nursing.
IRSC is home to the Museum of Art & Science, which features a planetarium, an art gallery, and a hands-on science center. The college also operates the St. Lucie County Aquarium, the only public aquarium on the Treasure Coast.
IRSC is a tobacco-free campus.
Type: Public, 4-year or above
Main Website: https://www.irsc.edu/
Financial Aid: https://www.irsc.edu/financial-aid/index.html
Admission RequirementsIndian River State College (IRSC) is a public state college in Florida. It is part of the Florida College System. IRSC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The college was established in 1959 and has its main campus in Fort Pierce. It also has campuses in Port St. Lucie, Okeechobee, and Vero Beach. The college offers associate's and bachelor's degrees, as well as certificate and diploma programs.
To be eligible for admission to IRSC, students must have a high school diploma or equivalent. They must also submit an application and pay the application fee. Students may also be required to take a placement test.
|Percentage of students receiving any financial aid||69%|
|Percentage of students receiving Federal Grants||63%|
|Percentage of students receiving state aid||38%|
|Percentage of students receiving institutional aid||10%|
|Percentage of students receiving a student loan||0%|
- Degrees Offered
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Certificates of less than 12 week
- Certificates of at least 12 weeks but less than 1 year offered
- Certificates of 1 year, but less than 2 year
- Certificates of 2 years, but less than 4 year
- Majors Offered
- Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General
- Aesthetician/Esthetician and Skin Care Specialist
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics, and Special Effects
- Autobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
- Automobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
- Automotive Engineering Technology/Technician
- Avionics Maintenance Technology/Technician
- Biology Teacher Education
- Biology/Biological Sciences, General
- Business Administration and Management, General
- Business Administration, Management and Operations, Other
- Business/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry
- CAD/CADD Drafting and/or Design Technology/Technician
- Child Care Provider/Assistant
- Civil Engineering Technologies/Technicians
- Clinical/Medical Laboratory Technician
- Communications Technology/Technician
- Community Health Services/Liaison/Counseling
- Computer Graphics
- Computer Programming, Vendor/Product Certification
- Computer Programming/Programmer, General
- Computer Systems Analysis/Analyst
- Construction Engineering Technology/Technician
- Construction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
- Cosmetology/Cosmetologist, General
- Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement Administration
- Criminal Justice/Police Science
- Criminal Justice/Safety Studies
- Crisis/Emergency/Disaster Management
- Culinary Arts/Chef Training
- Dental Assisting/Assistant
- Dental Hygiene/Hygienist
- Dental Laboratory Technology/Technician
- Digital Arts
- Drafting and Design Technology/Technician, General
- Education, Other
- Electrical, Electronic, and Communications Engineering Technology/Technician
- Elementary Education and Teaching
- Emergency Medical Technology/Technician (EMT Paramedic)
- Entrepreneurship/Entrepreneurial Studies
- Facial Treatment Specialist/Facialist
- Fire Prevention and Safety Technology/Technician
- Fire Science/Fire-fighting
- Food Preparation/Professional Cooking/Kitchen Assistant
- Golf Course Operation and Grounds Management
- Health Information/Medical Records Technology/Technician
- Health/Health Care Administration/Management
- Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering Technology/Technician
- Hospitality Administration/Management, General
- Hotel, Motel, and Restaurant Management
- Hotel/Motel Administration/Management
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Laser and Optical Technology/Technician
- Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal
- Liberal Arts and Sciences/Liberal Studies
- Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse Training
- Marketing/Marketing Management, General
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant and Medical Secretary
- Medical Radiologic Technology/Science - Radiation Therapist
- Medical/Clinical Assistant
- Mental and Social Health Services and Allied Professions, Other
- Nuclear Medical Technology/Technologist
- Nursing Assistant/Aide and Patient Care Assistant/Aide
- Office Management and Supervision
- Pharmacy Technician/Assistant
- Phlebotomy Technician/Phlebotomist
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Plumbing Technology/Plumber
- Public Administration
- Public Administration and Social Service Professions
- Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse
- Respiratory Care Therapy/Therapist
- Restaurant, Culinary, and Catering Management/Manager
- Restaurant/Food Services Management
- Robotics Technology/Technician
- Science Teacher Education/General Science Teacher Education
- Security and Loss Prevention Services
- Solar Energy Technology/Technician
- Special Education and Teaching, General
- Surgical Technology/Technologist
- Teacher Education and Professional Development, Specific Levels and Methods, Other
- Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology
- Truck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia and Information Resources Design
- Welding Technology/Welder